Counter Tops in Lansing
McDaniels Kitchen and Bath offers a complete selection of countertops to the Builder and Retail markets. We routinely measure and install countertops for our local customers.
Following is a list of a variety of countertop materials for you to consider:
Granite countertops are a natural stone product. Typically you select the actual piece of granite to be used in making your top.
- Very durable. Granite is one of the hardest stones
- Resistant to scratches, heat, and every day wear and tear
- Resistant to Acids
- Maintenance is required, like resealing and polishing
- Damage cannot be repaired
- Seams are visible whenever two pieces are put together
Marble is a natural material that is popular in bathrooms, on sills, and around fireplaces.
- Available in a variety of beautiful surface finishes, colors, and sizes
- Can be sculpted, creating endless design options
- Can be scratched, chipped, and stains easily
- Regular maintenance is required to keep the surface looking beautiful.
- Sealants are necessary to reduce the possibility of staining
- Should not be used in the kitchen
Cultured marble is a blend of crushed marble and resins. It is used primarily in bathrooms. It is priced lower than solid surface but above plastic laminate. The highest quality cultured marble will have a greater percent of resin vs. rock flower. The more rock flower you use, the more brittle the countertop, and the more likely you will windup with cracks in the drain area.
- Can be custom made to size
- Integrated sinks
- Can be scratched and chipped
- Limited colors and patterns
- Some chips and scratched can be repaired
Both Custom and Post Form Tops - Plastic laminates are the most common countertop material; it is best known as Formica. There are a number of companies offering a wide variety of plastic laminates.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Available in a wide variety of colors and styles
- Can be custom fit to your project
- Not resistant to scratches and heat
- Seams are needed if larger than 5' x 12"
- Not easy to repair if damaged
Natural butcher block tops are real maple and show the properties of the wood.
Ceramic tile counters offer a durable surface with a variety of design options. It is commonly used in country and more traditional kitchen designs.
- Cost, compared to granite and solid surface, is less
- Many colors and patterns from which to choose
- Resistant to heat
- Grout requires regular maintenance
- Tiles can chip and stain
- See more photos of backsplashes
- Easy to clean
- Resistant to heat
- Can be reclaimed
- Great accent
Solid surfaces tops are made of acrylic or an acrylic polyester blend and are solid throughout. The most commonly used solid surface countertop is Corian.
- Any size can be custom fit to your room
- Variety of colors and patterns
- Stains and scratches easily repaired
- Nearly invisible seams in the top surface
- Not resistant to heat. Care should be taken in removing hot pans from range to the top.
Zodiaq© is a new category of surfacing material for commercial and residential interiors. It is composed of 93 percent quartz and has exceptional toughness and hardness.
Cambria is virtually non-absorbent, greatly reducing the potential for bacterial growth. Unlike granite, you never have to seal or polish Cambria. 10-year warranty.